Nina stopped crying about 45 minutes later and we went to breakfast. But, once back in the hotel room, she cried, and cried, and cried. Grumpers and the boys went to ride the peddle boats at the lake in front of the hotel. While Bill and I sat here, played cards, letting Nina-Li just cry it out. For two hours. We don't know what else we can do, but provide a safe environment for her to do so. She cried so much she got a head-ache. And she allowed me to give her some Children's Advil. So, it shows me she is trusting me. She relies on me to help her in the restroom, give her baths, help brush her teeth, get dressed, and of course, put on make-up. And some of these things, she really doesn't need my help. My friend Angela who adopted a year ago, advised me to create needs. Create situations in which Nina-Li needs me. Good advice.
After Nina cried for about 2 hours, we asked her if she wanted to take a walk, and she did. So, we walked a small garden behind the hotel and then went down to the boardwalk. She held my hand almost the entire time. We eventually ran into the boys with Grumpers. We listened to the retirees singing like a church choir and then returned to the hotel. Both boys ran hand in hand with Nina down the board walk. I think Nina even smiled a tiny bit.
We've spent the afternoon hanging out and taking naps. We got Nina on pbskids.org and showed her how to play a game or two. She even let Bill help her. But, she's refusing chocolate from him, hmmm?
I think we are going to go bowling in a bit and then find dinner.
Tomorrow our plans are to go to the small amusement park by the island I described. Then we pack. We have to leave the hotel by 6 AM Saturday to leave for the airport. I am dreading the flight with Nina but looking forward to the last leg of our trip to Guangzhou (Gwanjoe).
Here are a few pictures of life in Fuzhou.
Love to you all!

I think it is good for her to grieve & how you are handling it is commendable. I am sure it breaks your heart though, as I know just reading about it breaks mine. She is showing more reliance and trust in you and it will grow as each day passes. Just keep letting all your love shine through as you are doing. Your heart is leading you in the right direction. Good luck on your next flight and final phase. Won't be long now until you are home. Love & prayers to all.
ReplyDeleteMichelle and family --
ReplyDeleteI am so thrilled to read of your adventures in China and see the pictures of your darling new daughter. She is just beautiful. And seeing her with the boys is awesome. Reading the posts and hearing about how Nina Li is crying and grieving makes me think how it is when you bring home an infant. When you bring a baby home, they sometimes cry for hours on end (a nameless one of mine did anyway). They are adjusting to a whole new world...one they have no idea about. It is so much the same for sweet Nina Li. ou cry when you don't know what else to do. As parents, you just have to handle the crying and soothe them as well as you can and then one day it STOPS and they smile at you and it melts your heart. Hang in there. We're praying for a safe and "quiet" ride home for you!!! --Julie E.
I know you won't see these comments until you're back home, but I anxiously await your posts and read them each at least twice! You're right that it's good for Nina-Li to grieve. She has the ability to form strong attachments, and you can only do what you're doing. I think the advice of "creating needs" is a really good idea. You have a beautiful daughter who in time will form a strong and forever bond with her new family. She is teaching you so many things right now, just as she is learning from you. My prayers are with you every day.
ReplyDelete